Thursday, August 15, 2019
7 pm Eastern, 6 pm Central, 4 pm Pacific
- How the immune system fights cancer
- What happens when cancer cells evade the immune system
- How immunotherapies, such as chimeric antigen receptor T-cell therapy (CAR-T therapy) can restore the immune system’s ability to fight cancer
- Who’s a good candidate for CAR-T therapy and what’s involved in the treatment
- Success rates for CAR-T therapy and potential risks
Juan Carlos Varela MD, PhD
Dr. Juan Carlos Varela is a physician scientist and Leader of the Cell Therapy Program in the Blood and Marrow Transplant Program at Advent Health in Orlando, Florida.
His specialties are bone marrow transplantation and cancer immunotherapy. Dr. Varela obtained his MD and PhD in Immunology from the Medical University of South Carolina in Charleston, South Carolina. His doctorate work focused on understanding the role of the complement system (a component of the immune system) in the development of cancer. He completed a residency in Internal Medicine at the Osler Medical Training Program at Johns Hopkins Hospital and a fellowship in Hematology with a focus on hematological malignancies and bone marrow transplantation also at Johns Hopkins Hospital.
Dr. Varela’s research has focused on the development of novel immunotherapies for the treatment of cancer. He has been the principal investigator in several cancer immunotherapy clinical trials. He is currently developing novel clinical trials utilizing cellular therapy for the treatment of hematological malignancies.
This webinar will be offered in Spanish Monday, August 19, 2019. Click here for details
Este webinar será ofrecido en español el lunes 19 de agosto, 2019. Pulse aquí para más detalles.
Registration Coming Soon