COVID-19 is changing the way we live our lives, at least for a time. Transplant recipients, especially, worry about their risk of catching COVID-19 and how it will impact their health.
BMT InfoNet has compiled some resources to help you manage life during the time of COVID .
Watch a video: COVID-19 Winter Update 2020 - What Transplant Recipients Need to Know
Presented by Alyssa Latournea MD, PhD and Areej El-Jawhari MD, Massachussetts General Hospital
A transcript of this video will soon be available.
Three More Short Videos: How COVID-19 Affects the Lungs, Blood and Heart
The following videos are by the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute (NHLBI), part of the National Institutes of Health (NIH).
How COVID-19 Affects Your Lungs:
How COVID-19 Affects Your Blood
How COVID-19 Affects Your Heart
Financial Help During the COVID-19 Pandemic
Be The Match offers a one-time $500 COVID-19 grant to transplant patients, regardless of whether they have been diagnosed with COVID-19, who meet these criteria:
- If pre-transplant: Your transplant center must be located in the U.S. and have initiated the patient’s formal search with the National Marrow Donor Program® (NMDP)/Be The Match® on or after March 1, 2019, with the intention to move forward with an allogeneic transplant (transplant with donor cells).
- If post-transplant: The patient must have received an unrelated or related transplant facilitated by NMDP/Be The Match on or after March 1, 2019.
CLICK HERE to apply for the grant.
Lymphoma Research Foundation offers a COVID-19 financial assistance grant to for people with lymphoma or chronic lymphocytic leukemia (CLL) in active treatment who meet these criteria:
- be in active treatment for lymphoma or CLL within the last six months
- live in and be a legal resident of the U.S.
- have a household income that is at or below 500% of the U.S. federal poverty guidelines.
CONTACT Helpline@lymphoma.org or phone 800-500-9976 to confirm if you are eligible.
Tips for Coping with Anxiety During the COVID-19 Crisis
It's normal to be anxious about COVID-19 and the uncertainty it brings to our lives. Get some expert tips about how to manage your anxiety. CLICK HERE to view the tips.
Try Practicing Mindfulness to Help Manage Stress
Transplant survivor and therapist, Melanie Stachelski MA, explains how mindfulness - being present in the moment - can help manage stress and overwhelming emotions, and walks the viewer through some exercises to introduce this tool.
CLICK HERE to view Melanie's presentation and read a transcript of her talk.
Read a Story about a Transplant Recipient Who Survived COVID-19
It seemed like deja vu for transplant survivor, Peter Gordon, as he reached into his closet for the masks and gloves he wore for months after his transplant. His wife, Mary Ann, was returning from a trip to Germany, and would need to be isolated for two weeks to be sure she did not have COVID-19. Things did not turn out as planned.
CLICK HERE to read Peter and Mary Ann's story of how they fought COVID-19.
Do You Have Other Resources to Share?
BMT InfoNet will be updating this page as new resources become available. If you have a resource to share or a question to ask email us at firstname.lastname@example.org